No doubt that pineapple is one of the best popular tropical fruit in the world. Not only that it is delicious and refreshing but it also has lots of health benefits. However, at this point, every rabbit owner must be thinking that if pineapples are such tasty and good for health, then why not share some pineapples with their rabbits?
We knew that guinea pigs can eat pineapples but can rabbits eat pineapples too? Is pineapple juice good for rabbits? These are the questions that need to be answered for every rabbit pet owner. So let’s explore is it pineapple is a good food for rabbits, the benefits of pineapple to rabbits and the possible adverse effect too.
Nutrients present in pineapple
Before jumping to any conclusion, let’s have a look at the nutrients present in pineapple. It’s because only then you will be able to understand the impact of pineapple on the health of your rabbit.
|Nutrition Facts||Raw Pineapple|
So the nutritional data of pineapple suggests that it is a powerhouse of energy-rich essential nutrients that have a lot of benefits such as:
- Dietary Fiber: Fiber is essential for rabbits as it ensures smooth working of their digestive system and keeps them healthy.
- Protein: Protein is also crucial for rabbits as it promotes muscle growth, muscle repair, and maintains their health.
- Calcium: Calcium is another important nutrient for rabbits as it makes their bones grow and strong. Moreover, calcium also promotes the teeth growth of rabbits and protects them from different diseases.
- Vitamins: Vitamins play an important role in maintaining the health of rabbits by supporting their immune system.
Here you must be thinking that if pineapples got a lot of these healthy and beneficial nutrients, then why not feed them to your rabbit every day?
Can rabbits have pineapples
Yes! Rabbits will love to eat pineapples because it’s refreshing, juicy, and sweet. We know that pineapple is beneficial for your rabbit’s health However, feeding too much pineapple to your rabbits also has its drawbacks. Therefore, it is a must that you feed them a calculated amount of pineapples to keep them healthy.
Is pineapple good for rabbits
Yes, pineapple is good for rabbits but only when it’s given in a small amount as treat every once in a while. Following are some benefits of pineapples for rabbits:
- Vitamin C present in pineapples boosts the immune system of rabbits and protects them from invading pathogens. Moreover, vitamin C also acts as an antioxidant and removes any free radicals in the body of rabbits.
- Proteins and calcium present in pineapples strengthen the bones and muscles of rabbits and promote their growth.
Should you feed pineapples to your rabbits everyday
No! When we say that rabbits can eat pineapples and they are good for them, it does not mean that you should start feeding pineapples to your rabbits every day.
As we have already mentioned above that pineapples are sweet and have high grams of sugar, thus, feeding an excessive amount of pineapples to the rabbits can lead to several medical complications. We have explained them all below.
Drawbacks of overfeeding pineapples to rabbits
Eating a significant amount of pineapples can cause the following health issue among rabbits:
- Gas or Bloating : The sugar content present in pineapples can cause gas or bloating among rabbits if consumed in excess. Keep in mind that rabbits are unable to pass gas, thus, it can be a terrible experience for them and it is a treat for rabbits.
- Obesity : Pineapples are enriched with lots of sugar and eating too much of them can make the rabbits fat and obese.
- Diabetes : Overfeeding pineapples to the rabbits can also lead to diabetes.
- Digestive Disorders : Always keeping in mind that pineapple is not something rabbits eat daily even in the forests. So it’s not their primary food. Therefore, their sensitive stomach is also not used to digesting a huge quantity of pineapple at once. Thus, feeding too much pineapple at once can degrade the digestive system of rabbits and cause several disorders like diarrhea.
What’s the right quantity of pineapples you should feed to your rabbits
Now as you have learned all the drawbacks of overfeeding pineapples to the rabbis, the next question that comes into your mind is how much pineapples you should feed to the rabbits?
The answer is 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon.
However, there are some things you should keep in mind:
- Do not give pineapples to newborn rabbits.
- Watch for any adverse symptoms shown by rabbits after eating pineapples such as diarrhea.
- If you’re feeding pineapples to the rabbits for the first time, then start with giving them a very small amount so that their stomach can adapt to it easily.
Can bunnies eat pineapples
The answer is yes! Bunnies can eat pineapples but not too often. The healthy diet of bunnies is grass and hay and that’s what you should feed them every day.
You can feed them pineapples in a small amount as a treat or a supplementary diet, not regular diet. It will not only help you train them but also prevent them from getting bored of eating grass and hay every day.
Can rabbits eat fresh pineapples
Yes! Rabbits can eat fresh pineapples and fresh pineapples in fact, are much better, healthier, and beneficial than canned pineapples.
It’s because canned pineapples contain preservatives and artificial flavors and sweeteners that are harmful to the health of the rabbits.
So, yes! You can prefer fresh pineapple over canned pineapple anytime.
Can rabbits eat pineapple leaves
If rabbits can eat pineapples, can you feed them the pineapple leaves as well?
No! You should never feed pineapple leaves to your rabbits and here’s why.
Pineapple leaves have a bitter taste and got long fibers that can make your rabbit choke. So it’s the most terrible thing you can feed your rabbit.
Can rabbits eat pineapple weed
Yes! Pineapple weed is also beneficial for rabbits as it is known to have a relaxing and soothing effect. Moreover, it reduces inflammation and keeps the body clean from toxic elements.
Can rabbits eat pineapple mint
Yes! Rabbits can also eat pineapple mint. However, excess of everything is bad, so offer them a moderate amount of pineapple mint.
Can rabbits eat pineapple cores
If rabbits can eat pineapple flesh then why not eat the pineapple core. However, the pineapple core is a bit stiff and fibrous so it’s up to you.
We’d recommend you avoid feeding it and stick to the flesh and juicy part only.
Can rabbits eat dried pineapple
Yes, rabbits can eat dried pineapple but you should not feed it quite often.
Only a few pieces once a week will do the job because dried pineapple is enriched with amounts of sugar and eating too much of it can cause several medical complications among the rabbits.
Can rabbits eat pineapple sage
Yes, pineapple sage is among the list of herbs and shrubs that are beneficial for the benefits.
Can rabbits eat pineapple peel
No, you should not feed pineapple peel to the rabbits and only stick to the flesh and juicy part of the pineapple.
Pineapple peel is rough and bitter. It’s a terrible thing to feed the rabbits.
So here’s a summary and brief report of everything mentioned above.
Do rabbits eat pineapples
Yes, rabbits love to eat pineapples and they are beneficial for them.
However, do not feed pineapples to the rabbit every day because the extra sugar can make them sick.
Instead, offer them a tablespoon of pineapple only once or twice a week as a occasional treat.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which parts of a pineapple are safe for rabbits?
You should only feed your rabbits the fleshy juicy part from a fresh pineapple. Don’t give them the leaves or skin from the fruit, because they might be full of sap.
How much pineapple can you feed to your rabbit?
Rabbits are sweet eaters. Their favorite foods include carrots, apples, bananas, oranges, grapes, and pears. Pineapples are high in sugar and should be given in small quantities. Your rabbits should never have more than 20 grams of pineapple in a day.
How to feed pineapple to your rabbits
If you want to feed your rabbit pineapple, be sure to remove the spiky pineapple skin and leave, only feed them the fleshy part.
Can rabbits eat canned pineapple?
Tinned pineapple is not safe for pet rabbit to eat. You should never feed them tinned pineapple.
Do pineapples make my rabbit sick?
Pineapples are rich in sugar, too much of it can cause weight gain in rabbits. Obesity restricts their movement, and they become lazy.
Pineapples are safe for rabbits. How about other fruits?
Shannon work as nurse practitioner in Alliance Health Medical Group. She own pets and she love pets. With her knowledge in medicine, she know what can the pet eat and what can’t