Banana is among the most popular fruits of the world. Why? Well, banana is perfect for the diet and general health of humans and animals because it is enriched with high energy nutrients.
Every rabbit owner has these two questions in their mind; can bunnies eat bananas? Are bananas good for rabbits? The simple answer is yes! You can feed bananas to your rabbits due to several different health benefits and we have explained them all in this article.
Benefits of eating bananas for rabbits
Just like any other healthy food, bananas are also enriched with certain nutrients, minerals, and vitamins that are beneficial for the immune system and general health of your rabbits. Following is a list of all the benefits of eating bananas to your rabbits:
- Source of Potassium : Bananas are a great source of potassium for rabbits. Potassium is responsible for increasing the absorption of calcium which in turn strengthens the bones of the rabbits. Moreover, potassium also strengthens the muscles and blood vessels of the rabbits.
- Source of Vitamins : Consuming bananas increase the levels of vitamin C & B6 in the rabbits. Vitamin B6 has an anti-inflammatory effect and reduces the risk of heart diseases in rabbits. On the other hand, Vitamin C regulates the blood pressure of rabbits and supports their immune system.
- Source of Fiber : Bananas contain fiber that helps the digestion system of rabbits to work smoothly and prevent gastrointestinal problems. Fiber also keeps the skin of rabbits healthy.
- Source of Magnesium : Magnesium present in bananas strengthens the bones and promotes good skin health in rabbits.
- Source of Natural Probiotics : Bananas contain natural probiotics that ensure smooth working of the digestive system in rabbits by regulating the levels of intestinal flora.
- Source of Sugars : Sugars are a great source of energy for the rabbits that help them grow and perform daily life activities. Bananas are enriched with sugars and have a lot of benefits for rabbits.
- Low Levels of Sodium & Cholesterol : Salty and packaged food contains high levels of sodium and cholesterol that can be harmful to the health of the rabbits. Bananas have low levels of sodium and cholesterol thus they keep the rabbits healthy.
- Relieve from Diarrhea : If your rabbits are suffering from diarrhea then you can easily reduce it by giving them an appropriate amount of bananas.
|Nutrition Facts||Raw Banana|
How to feed bananas to the rabbits?
Now you might be thinking about ways to feed bananas to your pet rabbits. There are a lot of ways you can serve bananas to the bunnies:
- If you are giving bananas to your rabbits for the first time then start with offering small pieces.
- You can also offer a freshly peeled banana as a whole.
- You can mix the banana with the regular feed of the rabbits.
- If it is summer, then you can also offer them a frozen banana to relieve themselves.
- You can mix banana with other ingredients to make it a unique food for the rabbits.
However, always keep in mind that some rabbits love bananas and some don’t, so if your rabbits are not eating bananas then do not force them to do so. Chances are that they might allergic to bananas and that is why they are not interested to eat them.
Also, keep an eye on the proportion of bananas you are giving to the rabbits because too much consumption of bananas can also lead to several complications. For example, bananas are rich in sugar therefore, overeating the bananas can make your rabbits obese.
Can bunnies eat banana peel?
Now the next question coming into your mind would be; can rabbits eat banana peel? The answer is yes! Banana peels are also very healthy for rabbits as they contain energy-rich nutrients like magnesium, potassium, calcium, and iron. Make sure to wash the peel before feeding it to the rabbits because there might be some bacteria, pesticides, and germs present on it that can affect the digestive system of the rabbits. Also, cut the peel into small pieces to avoid suffocation.
Drawbacks of feeding excess banana to rabbits
Excess of everything is bad. Similarly, just because bananas contain a lot of healthy nutrients, you cannot feed an excessive amount of bananas to your rabbits. Feeding too many bananas to the rabbits can lead to several complications and some of which are given below:
- Constipation : Excessive consumption of bananas will deteriorate the smooth working of the digestive system in rabbits and eventually lead to constipation.
- Diarrhea : As we mentioned above that bananas can relieve diarrhea but excess consumption of it can also become a major cause of diarrhea among rabbits. Therefore, you are advised to feed them a controlled quantity of bananas.
- Allergy : Bananas can also have an allergic effect on some rabbits. So if you are feeding bananas for the first time to your rabbits then you are advised to start with giving them small pieces and carefully observe if they show any adverse changes in their body. If they do, you should not be feeding them bananas anymore.
- Excess Energy : As you read above that bananas contain a lot of energy, therefore, if you will feed a lot of bananas to your rabbits then they will have more energy than they need. This can cause over-activity, intestinal, digestive, and blood pressure problems among rabbits. So always give them a calculated quantity of bananas according to their need.
What is the substitute of banana?
If your rabbits are allergic to bananas or there are no bananas available in your region, then you can substitute bananas with another fruit. For example grapes, watermelons, melons, oranges, pineapples, cherries, and strawberries are also rich in nutrients like potassium, magnesium, iron, zinc, fiber, and calcium that are essential for the growth and general health of the rabbits.
Bananas are beneficial for the health of the rabbits and you should definitely feed them bananas every once in a while. Make sure to feed them in the right quantity and if they show any allergic reactions, just stop giving them bananas immediately.
Shannon work as nurse practitioner in Alliance Health Medical Group. She own pets and she love pets. With her knowledge in medicine, she know what can the pet eat and what can’t